Scoil Íde Naofa was built in 1949. The original building was a traditional 2-roomed building, built to serve the primary education needs of the local hinterland. This served the needs adequately until 1976 when another local school, Skerries N.S. was closed and amalgamated with Scoil Íde Naofa. The additional enrolment was accommodated by the erection of a number of prefabricated classrooms.
From 1976 successive Boards of Management, in tandem with the local community, engaged in a protracted campaign to have a much needed extension built. This was eventually agreed in 1996 and the Department of Education & Science sanctioned an extension comprising of 3 new classrooms, staffroom, library/medical room and a general purpose room.
The catchment area is the Parish of Narraghmore, where Scoil Íde Naofa is the nearest school. At present the school has a valid enrolment of 188 pupils. There has been a significant increase in enrolment over the past number of years. There has been a 60% increase since 2002.
This increase led to a further extension to the school in 2007. Under the Department of Education & Science devolved building initiative a further 3-roomed extension was built. A dedicated SET room was also constructed.
In 2009 the Board of Management undertook another major capital works project which culminated in the provision of a bus turning/staff and visitor car park, the provision of extra playground space and the extension and reseeding of the playing pitch at the rear of the school.
In 2011 a further two classrooms were constructed under a devolved grant initiative to provide the desired number of mainstream classrooms.
In 2019, after 23 years of fantastic leadership, Mr. Ed Kirwan retired as principal. Mr. Rob White is now principal.
We currently have an administrative Principal, 8 mainstream teachers and 3 SEN team members based in Scoil Íde Naofa. Our ancillary staff includes secretary, caretaker, 2 special needs assistants and a cleaner.